Try the steps only when you are experiencing blank or black screen while restarting windows.
Right click on desktop>choose Screen Resolution>on multiple displays I changed from "DUPLICATE THE DISPLAY" to "SHOWDESKTOP ONLY ON 1.
and it worked for me with Windows 7.
If you have Vista go Personlize>Display Settings>then click on 2nd.monitor> uncheck box that says "extend the desktop onto this monitor">press O.K.
For More troubleshooting steps please read more.
Step 2: Launch Task Manager and restart Explorer.exe
1.Press the Ctrl + Alt and Delete keys on the keyboard at the same time.
2.Click the Start Task Manager
3.Click the Processes tab, right-click explorer.exe from the list of running processes
4.Click End Process to stop the Explorer.exe process
5.Click File from the menu and click New Task (Run)
6.Type Explorer.exe in the Open: window and click OK
Step 3: Start your computer in Safe Mode and disable your video adapter
- Click the Start button , click the arrow next to Shut Down, and then click Restart.
- Press F8 before the Windows logo appears.
- On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode, and then press Enter.
- Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights. When your computer is in safe mode, you'll see the words Safe Mode in the corners of your monitor.
- Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, and then, under System, clicking Device Manager. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- In the list of hardware categories, expand the Display adapters category. Make a note of your display adapter.
- Right-click your display adapter, and then click Disable. When prompted for confirmation, click Yes.
- Close all open windows and restart your computer normally.
- When your computer restarts, if you can see your desktop, there's a problem with your video adapter. Try updating your video adapter driver.